Brevard County Tree Removal Permits Needed


If not, you could experience costly delays. Avoid this by starting out right and checking with the St. Johns River Water Management District to determine what permits you may need. If a permit is required for your project, you must obtain it before you start clearing the land.

The St. Johns River Water Management District regulates construction of drainage systems, stormwater treatment ponds, large uses of water and other types of projects in order to protect the state’s resources and the rights of existing water users.


Most probably you do if:

* You are building any commercial development, including additions.

* Your project is a residential/subdivision development, including additions.

* The project involves any dredging, drainage, or filling of wetlands.

* Your project includes any ditches, dikes, or other major drainage improvements.

* You have any agricultural or industrial discharges into surface waters.

* Your project includes any bridge construction or roads.

* You are building a public supply well.

This is only a general overview of projects which may require District permits. Our Applicant=s Handbooks and Rules further define

these thresholds and are available by calling the district.

REMEMBER - you need to find out about what permits you are going to need before you start CLEARING THE LAND.

You may call any of the following District field offices to find out if your project needs a permit from the District:

Janice Unger David Dewey Carolyn Wirz

Compliance Coordinator Compliance Coordinator Compliance Coordinator

Melbourne Field Office Orlando Field Office Jacksonville Field Office

305 East Drive 618 E. South St. 7775 Baymeadows Way, Suite 102

Melbourne, FL 32904 Orlando, FL 32901 Jacksonville, FL 32256

(407) 984-4940 (407) 894-5423 (904) 730-6270


Brevard, Osceola, Orange, Lake, Volusia, Alachua, Baker, Flagler, Nassau,

Indian River, Okeechobee Seminole, Marion, Polk Putnam, Duval, St. Johns, Bradford



developed to assist property owners by providing information on permit requirements and the agencies to contact for further information.

Many properties in Indian River County include areas of wetlands. Before proceeding with any work in or near a wetland or waterbody,

it is advised that your check with the agencies listed below. You may be required to obtain permits from local, state and federal agencies.

Unauthorized wetland alterations may result in agency enforcement actions requiring site restoration and payment of civil penalties.

Wetlands are a valuable resource that are protected by federal, state and in some cases, local regulation. Wetlands provide important

economic and recreational values that are damaged by uncontrolled development and alteration. Wetlands filter pollutants from

stormwater runoff. They protect shorelines from erosion and provide flood storage. Wetlands are nurseries for fish and shellfish and

provide critical habitat to wildlife.

Vegetation, soils and hydrology are the major factors in determining if an area is considered a wetland. The following may be an

indication of the presence of wetlands:

* Standing water after rain.

* Adjacent waterbodies such as creeks, rivers, lakes and bays.

* Ditches which connect to any waterbodies.

* Dark mucky soils.

* Plants such as cypress, mangrove, red maple, loblolly bay, willow, sweet bay, water oak, ash, dahoon

holly, tupelo, ferns, rushes, sedges, and many types of grasses.

* Swollen tree bases.

* Floodplains.

These indicators are only a guide. You may still have wetlands even though you do not have any of the conditions listed above.

Wetlands generally do not include longleaf or slash pine flatwoods with an understory of saw palmetto.

Activities in or near wetlands that may require a permit or site evaluation include:

* Clearing or grading.

* Dredging or excavating.

* Filling, the placement of sand, soil, debris or structures.

* Septic system installations.

* Boat docks or ramps.

* Boardwalks.

* Seawalls or revetments.

* Mangrove trimming.

The following agencies regulate activities within wetlands in Indian River County and should be contacted for further information:

Indian River County

(772) 567-8000

Florida Department of Environmental Protection - DEP

(407) 894-7555 - Orlando Office (permitting)

(407) 984-4800 - Melbourne Office (compliance and enforcement)

St. Johns River Water Management District

(407) 984-4940

U. S. Army Corps of Engineers - ACOE

(772) 567-1496

How Can We Help You?

Our friendly and professional staff will be able to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. We look forward to earning your business and keeping you as a satisfied client. Let's Get In Touch
Back to Top